My Books

My Books
My Books

Friday, 13 April 2012

Autistic children and brain research





Its a humbling thing, but some parents of autistic children who die are making the decision to donate their child's brain to autism research, in an effort to better understand the disease.  This story, of a young man called Sina, sinas-last-gift illustrates to me just how brave and generous these parents are in the face of tragedy. A brain bank of brain tissue samples is being compiled which is shared among autism researchers all over the world and is only possible because of donations, soon after death. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to make this decision whilst grief is still so fresh, but I can certainly admire the sacrifice. I salute them. Autism affects 1 in every 88 children in the USA. 1 in 54 are boys. A significant number of people diagnosed with autism suffer from epilepsy and in Sina's case, this was a fatal combination. Please take the time to read his story and marvel at his parents' gift.

Thanks to Gregory Keer and familyman newsletter  for this story.

cheers,
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to accept comments on anything you see here!